Wednesday, December 19, 2012

A Skylanders Themed Pop-up Card

So my niece's newest passion is Skylanders.  For her last birthday she received the new Skylanders Giants starter pack.  I always try to go with suggested gifts, as I am always happy with a sure thing.  So Skylanders it was and that meant a themed pop-up card to match.  
Now one of the nice things about doing a product themed card, is that there is tons of art online that you can print out.  Look for a high pixel count and watch the amount you enlarge the images.  In this case I went right to the downloadable images on the official website.  I am fairly sure that  using these images for a one off card, especially one that comes attached to a couple of the official products is ok.



Now in Skylanders, as far as I, an adult who does not play the game, can tell, the characters move around between islands, which hang in the sky, completing tasks and collecting treasure.  So my card is supposed to be one of these islands.  I've stuck on a couple of houses, which are made using one continuous piece of paper.  They are connected and form one v-fold mechanism.  I used a stamp from Local King Rubber Stamps to create the wood texture and one of their dies to cut the window and door elements.  A few old Prima paper flowers and Perfectly Pearls finish off the cute little window boxes.  Parallel fold mechanisms off of the valley folds of the glued down fronts of the houses hold up some rocks and and the mushroom character.


My niece enjoyed the card, the Skylanders much, much more.  Oh well, I had a blast making this.  I think it turned out very cute.

No comments:

Post a Comment