Friday, March 25, 2011

Medieval Dolly, not Paper this time.

This term for my history class I had to make an item relevant to the medieval child.  I decided to do clothing.  As I didn't have a small or medium sized child to schlep to my class I used one of my daughter's dolls.  Now she is a girl doll, but for the purposes of my class, it's a 13th century schoolboy.  Typically, little boys would have worn short tunics, as did most men, but for school, they wore long tunics.  The reason we went with boy, is that we wanted to make a piece of clothing that was somehow special.  So our clothing is underwear, specifically braies or underpants.  Boys didn't get braies till they were old enough.  The reason, when you had wash all your clothing, or most of it, and you don't have a washing machine, accidents are completely out of the question.






I love the way this turned out.  It looks really medieval.  It is hard to pick fabrics that are appropriate.  Tunics would have been felted wool as would the hosen.  Under things, shirts, chemises and kerchiefs for women were made from linen.   

No comments:

Post a Comment