Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Planning for Non-Movement

I tore my ACL in my right knee on our trip to Whistler last March.  I have since worked on rehabbing it for most of the last year and have a very good amount of strength and stability.  However, it still causes me problems occasionally.  It gets a real punishment on the bus and subway.  I often seem to catch it below the knee against a solid object, like the seat, at the moment that the transit vehicle of the moment jerks to a start, wrenching it badly.  I have fallen three times in the last month, each time when weight bearing on my right leg.  I went over on my left ankle last week, but unlike when I did it on my right, I did not hit the ground.  I have to be careful when dancing to not apply too much lateral force or the knee goes out.  Regular mopping is a problem due to the side to side force involved.  Gardening can also cause problems in trying to cope with uneven ground.  All of this has made me decide to go ahead with the ACL reconstruction.  I know it's going to be hard, but I don't always want to be thinking about where my leg is, or having to wait for the next bus so that I can sit, or trying to convince someone else to do the mopping. Someday, other than my husband, there won't be anyone else to do the mopping.  Skiing is an optional activity,  unfortunately, house cleaning is not.

So that having been said, my surgery is now a little over two weeks away.  Just enough time to finish the term and go to a few appointments and then boom, I will be immobile for a few weeks.  Well, my knee will be immobile, but my hands will have plenty of time to do whatever.  Here are my plans.

1.  Put up a how-to for the horse pop-up card.  It seems to get a lot of traffic, so that would be a nice complement.

2.  I am getting a Kromski rigid heddle loom and will be playing with that.  If it is not beyond frightening, I will share.

3.  Scrapbooking!!!  It has been forever since I have done much of this.

4.  More Zombie stuff.

5.  Read, non-class books.  Fiction and non-fiction.  Maybe start on some research about stuff I want to know about.

6.  Start helping my oldest work on cosplay outfits.  She wants to do three and one is extremely challenging, requiring a corset component and perhaps work with plastic, but if we can pull it off, it will blow people away.

I will share as much as I am able, as physiotherapy will also take up a lot of my time.  So stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment