Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Where have the last two months gone?

I don't know what black hole I fell into, but it ate 2 months of my life!  I have not scrapped a single page since sometime in August.  Now half that time disappeared into an amazing trip to Florida and home again.  In the true spirit of a road trip, the trip was a huge part of the awesome.  I'd share a picture today, but the one I really want to share is of Falling Water, a Frank Lloyd Wright house outside of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.  The ticket says you can only use the photo's for personal use and you're not even allowed to post them on line in any way.  Wow.  Do they have people searching the nit continuously looking for people breaking the rules?

The house was awesome, but in a way that I did not really like per se.  It was cool to know a little about Frank Lloyd Wright and his extreme need to control his design past his control.  He was an artist, but he was a total control freak, whose need to pound you over the head with his ideas is reflected in almost every aspect of the house.  The house, which is situated adjacent to and cantilevered over a water fall, allows no view of the water fall.  Wright was enamored with the sound of the water fall and thought it the most important element, as far as enjoying the water fall went.  Well, don't try looking at the water fall.  Without hanging over a balcony wall, and endangering your life, you can't.  Wright couldn't stand the thought of some uneducated slob not getting it.  I think that's the part of his designs that kill me the most.  He didn't trust the person paying the bills. 

I am sure that students of architectural history will disagree with me wholeheartedly.  I do concede he did some cool things with architecture, but without factoring in the personality of the man, you can't really appreciate the extent of what it was he was doing with his designs.

No comments:

Post a Comment